Monday, August 9, 2010

Salad Fattoush -- my version


Salad Fattoush is a staple Middle Eastern salad. I think traditionally it doesn't have feta cheese in it, and it usually calls for red onions and radishes. I love Feta so I added it. You can also add in cooked diced chicken or maybe some albacore tuna if you want to add more protein.

Ingredients:
1 Small Romaine Lettuce washed and cut
1 diced cucumber
1 diced Roma tomato
1/4 cup mint
1/4 cup parsley
1/4 cup crumbled Feta Cheese
1 sliced shallot
1 toasted pita bread diced in squares
1/2 cup lemon dressing -- or more or less to taste

Lemon Dressing:
Equal parts fresh squeezed lemon and olive oil
1 small clove of garlic
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Sumac (divided)-- this is the star of the salad, it can be found in Middle Eastern stores You can make the salad without it, but it's not as flavorful.


First make the dressing. I use a shaker to mix all the flavors together. Make sure you taste it, add more seasoning if need be. Slice the shallots and put them in the dressing. This takes the bite out of the shallots and marinates them nicely.

Place tomatoes and cucumbers in a bowl, sprinkle with a tablespoon of the dressing, this will also marinate the vegetables and let them soak in the flavor. Add chopped lettuce, mint, parsley, and cheese, toss together. Before serving add in the toasted bread and dressing. Toss and serve chilled.



2 comments:

  1. Love , Love, Love this salad.

    I'm sorry Ryan, I would not add Tuna, or even Chicken to this.

    The Sumac, gives the bite to this salad. It is a staple in my kitchen and I use it on just about everything. I say Sumac instead of Salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for lunch, I had a great time today. Great conversation, fellowship, you truly made my day. It was a treat for me to spend time with you! Thank you!
    Salad was delicious!

    ReplyDelete