Sunday, December 5, 2010

Italian Sausage soup

This is my go-to soup recipe...thank Aileen for introducing it to me. It's so good! It's very hearty and makes a good meal. You can make it as spicy as you like depending on whether or not you use Hot or Sweet Sausage. I've made the mistake (many times) of adding too much tortellini which makes it more like a pasta, than soup. Just put a cup. I'll have to post pictures soon.

Italian Tortellini Soup with Sausage

1. 3/4 # hot Italian sausage, casing removed & crumbled
2. 5 C. reduced sodium chicken broth
3. 1 141/2 oz can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
4. 1 1/3 c. dried cheese tortellini
5. 1 C. zucchini, quartered and sliced


In stockpot, cook sausage, breaking up large pieces. Drain fat if necessary
and return to pan. Add broth, tomatoes with juice. Bring to boil, scraping
up bits stuck to bottom. Reduce heat; simmer 8-10 min. Return to boil
and stir in pasta. Cook 8 min. or until pasta is tender. Add more broth
if needed. Stir in zucchini and simmer until just tender.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites, thus the passing on! My cousin Meaghan made this for me one winter evening and it was just yummy. You can get medium or mild sausage too, and it's just as good!

    ReplyDelete